Monday, June 9, 2014

Make-up Monday: How to clean make-up brushes/sponges




There are many ways to clean make-up brushes and sponges.  I am going to share the way I have been deep cleaning them for the past year.  I discovered this method when I first started using a beauty blender and trying different method on cleaning it. 

It might be a surprise to some but maybe not to others.  I use a bar of soap to clean my beauty blender and make-up brushes.  The best bar of soap for me are the ones from the hotels…no kidding.

While cleaning out my boyfriend’s bathroom one day about a year ago, I discovered a whole bunch of hotel soaps.   I mean a WHOLE bunch (over 100, and I’m underestimating it…lol).  I asked my boyfriend about all the soaps and he said that his parents always brought them back whenever they went on trips.  I’m guessing they went on A LOT of trips.  Since it was just there, I decided to put them to good use. 

Since I started using a beauty blender, I hated how it looked after I try washing them with shampoo or liquid soap because it didn’t take all the foundation/makeup away.  I didn’t want to spend money on buying a cleaner just for the beauty blender either. 

The first time I used the bar of soap on the beauty blender, I was so surprised on how clean it came out.  The beauty blender looked brand new.  Then I tried washing my makeup brushes and the bar of soap cleaned my brushes squeaky clean.

So next time you are at a hotel and have not used your bar of soap, you may want to think of taking it for your brushes/sponges. 

Pictures are below for reference.


Bars of soap from hotels










Dirty brushes

Wet the soap for easier lathering
Swirl the brush around until you start seeing foam
Use your fingers to wash the brush until the water runs clear




Dirty Beauty Blender Sponge
Keep squeezing the sponge until there's no more suds
Keep rinsing until there's no more suds


Towel dry the brushes to get rid of the extra water.


Finally lay the brushes/sponge on a towel.  Roll the towel so the handle of the brushes can lay on it so the water doesn't run into the ferrule. 










Anatomy of a brush


 Hope you try it out.  If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.  Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment