Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Asian Style Short Ribs (using a slow cooker)


Today I finally made one of my boyfriend’s favorite dish.  He has been asking me to make this for about a month now and I finally got around to making the slow cooker asian style short ribs…yum!  I don’t know why I’ve waited this long to make this delicious and easy dish.  All you have to do is put everything in a crock pot and wait. 
I found this recipe while I was watching the Live Well Network at my parents’ house about a year ago (http://livewellnetwork.com/Food-Rush/recipes/Slow-Cooker-Asian-Style-Short-Ribs/9013068).   I have adjusted the recipe to fit our taste palette. 

I used about 4.5 lbs of beef short ribs.  Place about 2 TBS cooking oil in a pan.  Place the ribs and season with salt and pepper and brown on all sides.  You don’t need to cook all the way through at this point.



 

After browning all the short ribs, you can transfer it on a plate or directly to the crock pot and let it rest.


While the meat is resting, prepare the sauce that will go inside the slow cooker.  I double the recipe so the meat was covered fully. 

  • ½ cup honey
  • ½ cup tamari (Japanese soy sauce)
  • 3-6 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 TBS Asian chili sauce
  • 6-12 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced
  • 3 cups water

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.




Pour the sauce mixture over the short ribs.  Place the lid on the slower cooker and set it on low for about 7-8 hours.


After about 5 hours I would stir the pot to make sure all the meat is submerged in the sauce.  Then let it sit for the remaining 2-3 hours.





I remove all the bones from the meat (comes off very easily from the meat).  Remember how many pieces you put in because that will help you find all the bones when you remove them....lol.





You are done and it’s ready to eat. 

We usually to eat it with rice and putting the sauce over it tastes so good.  I have it here with bok choy.




Hope you enjoy this dish if you try it out. 

1 comment: